Drinking alcohol has been as much a part of the Indian culture as its food since ancient times. The alcohol consumption to many in India is a way of relaxing and having a good time. Over the years, India has seen a transformational shift where alcohol is now increasingly becoming a part of the lifestyle, with more and more people moving towards consuming alcohol in a responsible manner.
With ample options to choose from, we all have our preferred drink and as we see a steady increase in the consumption patterns, the real question is – are you a smart drinker?
The ill-effects of alcohol will always be an ongoing debate, and rightly so. However, moderate alcohol consumption can also prove to be beneficial in some cases, several reports claim. While wine often tops the chart when it comes to “good alcohol”, did you know that Beer may be healthier than you thought?
Across the world, beer is one of the most socially acceptable and culturally cherished alcoholic beverages. It is also the oldest and the third most consumed (after water and tea) beverage in the world. It is a drink that is often associated with celebration, laughter, and friendship.
Here are 5 reasons why beer is a smarter alternative:
- Beer, a healthier choice: Beer is low in calories and carbohydrates and has no fat or cholesterol. Studies suggest that a person with moderate beer drinking habits is less likely to suffer from heart attacks, strokes or heart disease. It also cuts the bad cholesterol out of your body due to the presence of soluble fiber and can act as a great multi-vitamin. Apart from being rich in vitamin B, it is richest in Niacin which is also known as vitamin B3. It is an important nutrient, and every part of your body needs it to function properly.
- From Grain to Glass: Beer is an all-natural alcohol; it is not made from preservatives and is only processed. Some beers are made out of barley which makes an excellent source of silicon. Well, if you want healthy bones, silicon plays an important role in building and maintaining them.
- Beer makes the perfect social drink: What ‘Social drinking’ is to ‘Responsible drinking’; ‘beer’ is to ‘low-alcohol content’. Yes, the alcohol content in beer is lesser than you think! It is one of the milder alcohol beverages available today. The alcohol content in beer varies anywhere between 3.5% to 8% which is lower than hard spirits and even wine, making it a perfect fit for your social drink.
- Beer can help you relax: Various studies suggest that alcohol has varied emotional impacts on an individual, certain drinks are likely to be associated with emotional states more than others. Researchers from the Public Health Wales National Health System Trust and King’s College London, back in 2017 stated that beer was reported to be the most relaxing drink, among others. Spirits, on the other hand was reported as the least conducive to a relaxed state.
- Beer has less alcohol content: As India draws inclination towards healthier and responsible drinking behavior, consumers are opting for smart choices. According to a study, over 40% of the respondents within the age group of 25-34 said they are interested in switching to low or no alcohol variants of the drink. Beer is one of the milder alcohol beverages available today. The alcohol content in beer varies anywhere between 3.5% to 8% which is lower than hard spirits and even wine. So, if you are looking for options, you know what to choose.