Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has taken various initiatives in the recent past to ease the lives of citizens by facilitating online delivery of Government services. To further enhance the initiatives of Digital India Programme, and keeping in view the theme of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’, MeitY has enabled map services in “UMANG App ” through an MOU with MapmyIndia.
As a result of integration of UMANG with MapmyIndia Maps, citizens will be able to find government facilities nearest to their location, such as mandis, blood banks and much more, at the click of a button. They will also be able to see these on the most detailed and interactive street and village level maps of India, built by MapmyIndia. Citizens will also be able to view the driving distance, get directions and turn by turn voice and visual guidance to locations, including traffic and road safety alerts during navigation, through the linkage between UMANG App and MapmyIndia.
UMANG app has already started to provide map functionality through MapmyIndia in the following services:
- Mera Ration – Through UMANG, users can identify and navigate to the ‘Nearest Fair Price Shops’ as shops are visible in the form of pointers on MapmyIndia integrated map.
- eNAM – Through UMANG, ‘Mandi Near Me’ service will help users to identify and navigate to the nearby mandis pointed on the map.
- Damini – ‘Damini Lightning Alerts’ service is to provide lightning alerts to users by giving a visual ofnearby areaswhere lightning has struck in the last few minutes. This alert mechanism provides the possibility of lightning strikes on map view.
To further increase usefulness to citizens, the map functionality will be shortly enabled in many more services such as:
- ESIC – Users can view ESIC centers such as hospitals/dispensaries on map view and navigate to them.
- Indian Oil – Service is to locate nearby retail and distributors of Gas stations as well as fuel filling stations.
- NHAI: Users can view the toll plazas and toll rates information while travelling.
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) provides information corresponding to nearby police stations on the map.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (Meri Sadak) will help users to raise complaints of damaged roads (under PMGSY) by selecting the road on MapmyIndia platform.
Rohan Verma, CEO & Executive Director, MapmyIndia, said, “We are thankful and grateful to the National eGovernance Division, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India, and especially to our Honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Ji, for integrating MapmyIndia Maps and APIs into the Umang app, which is one of the most popular and useful government apps of India. We are delighted to partner with National eGovernance Division of Government of India, to power Umang app with MapmyIndia Maps and APIs. Umang app is an incredible super app made by the Government of India to help citizens access hundreds of government services through a click of a button. MapmyIndia, an indigenous, Aatmanirbhar company founded and headquartered in New Delhi, India, in 1995, has digitally mapped the entire country, and helps users find relevant places nearby and see them on our detailed building level maps. MapmyIndia’s APIs enable app and technology developers, such as the team of NeGD and Umang app, to easily integrate India’s own, indigenous, Aatmanirbhar maps into their apps,”