Bangalore emerges as the city with maximum search queries for automobiles

New Delhi, India, February 04, 2016: Google has announced a strong growth in search results around automobiles and auto brands in 2015. The overall increase combining both desktop and smartphone grew by 40% in 2015. Searches were split equally with 50% of all searches driven by desktop users and the rest through smartphones.

The four metros (Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata) contributed about 35% of all search results around automobiles while the remaining 65% search results emerged from smaller cities and towns. Interestingly, search interest around ‘used cars’ also saw a strong pickup in 2015, highlighting a growth of over 200% when compared to the previous year.


Google’s search results reveal that in 2015, Bangalore emerged as the city with the maximum searches in this category, closely followed by Delhi. Among the non-metros, the second highest search results were recorded from Pune, followed by Hyderabad. Interestingly both these cities recorded more searches than Kolkata. Search interest was driven by Tier 2 and tier 3 cities. While 30% growth in queries came from Tier 2 cities, 25% search queries were from Tier-1 cities. The rest or 45% of search queries were from Tier 3 or smaller towns.


Based on the early data available for 2016, searches around this year’s Auto Expo are almost double when compared to the previous Auto Expo in 2014. New launches and announcements from automakers is expected to further fuel search interest over the next few weeks.


In the run up to the Auto Expo (basis search trends over the last 30 days) Maruti continues to capture the top slot in terms of search interest followed closely by Mahindra & Mahindra, with both taking a strong lead over other auto majors (including Honda, Tata, Hyundai, Renault, Ford, Toyota and Volkswagen). Among the show-stoppers expected this year, Ford Mustang emerges as the most searched model among auto enthusiasts followed by the Audi R8, the Chevrolet Camaro, the Range Rover Evoque and the Nissan GT-R.


As many as 650,000-700,000 visitors are expected to visit the biennial Auto Expo in Greater Noida, making it Asia’s largest auto show. Some of world’s major vehicle manufacturers will show or launch as many as 85 passenger cars, sports utility vehicles (SUVs), two-wheelers and commercial vehicles at the event.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!