As we all may agree, beer is a beloved drink all around the world – whether you are in historic Germany, or in rainbow South Africa, one commonality you are bound to find is the predominance of the beer culture. While we know the world shares the love for drinking beer in unison. But how deep is your knowledge of beer in general?
Here are seven interesting facts we bet you didn’t know about:
- Beer is a healthier choice: Beer is low in calories and carbohydrates and has no fat or cholesterol. According to a study conducted by the Harvard school of Public Heath, “moderate drinkers were 30 to 35 percent less likely to have had a heart attack than non-drinkers,”. It also cuts the bad cholesterol out of your body due to the presence of soluble fiber and can act as a great multi-vitamin. Apart from being rich in vitamin B, it is richest in Niacin which is also known as vitamin B3. It is an important nutrient, and every part of your body needs it to function properly.
- Beer can help you relax: Various studies suggest that alcohol has varied emotional impacts on an individual, certain drinks are likely to be associated with emotional states more than others. Researchers from the Public Health Wales National Health System Trust and King’s College London, back in 2017 stated that beer was reported to be the most relaxing drink, among others. Spirits, on the other hand was reported as the least conducive to a relaxed state.
- Beer has relatively less alcohol content: As India draws inclination towards healthier and responsible drinking behavior, consumers are opting for smart choices. According to a study by Mintel based on a survey, over 40% of the respondents within the age group of 25-34 said they are interested in switching to low or no alcohol variants of the drink. Beer is one of the milder alcohol beverages available today. The alcohol content in beer varies anywhere between 3.5% to 8% which is lower than hard spirits such a whisky, rum, vodka and even wine. So, if you are looking for options, you know what to choose.
- Beer tastes better both chilled and warm: We’ve often heard people serving ‘chilled beer’ more than a ‘warm glass of beer’. But that does not restrict it to be served warm. Yes, beer tastes best when chilled, but not ice cold! Different beers have varied ideal temperatures, depending on their type. However, light body and low alcohol beer tastes better cold while full body and high alcohol examples are better warmer.
- Beer is expensive in India: More than half the printed price on beer is mopped up by the government in excise duties and taxes. Globally, alcoholic beverages are taxed according to Alcohol by Volume (abv) content. While the alcohol content in beer is up to 8% abv as compared to whiskey at 45% abv, in India the tax regime works inversely. Spirits are taxed at rates much lower than beer. An Indian pays 60% more tax on beer than he does on spirits, making it expensive.
- Beer is one of the oldest beverages in the world: Beer drinking is older than you think. For workers in Egypt, like the ones who built the pyramids of Giza, 10 pints of beer were provided as a daily ration to get them through the day. Egyptians were lucky people. Who wouldn’t accept Beer to get them through the day!
- Beer bottles can save the planet: What if we tell you, with each beer bottle you return, you can save the environment. It might not be known to many that most beer bottles are Returnable Glass Bottles (RGB). It is one of the most environment friendly consumer packaging available. So next time you consume a beer, don’t forget to return the bottle in good condition and do your bit to reduce carbon footprint. Great way to be a hero!
Some Fun Facts
- The oldest beer brewery dates back to 1040
- Drinking beer increases good cholesterol
- If ‘oenology’ is the study of wine, ‘zythology’ is the study of beer
- Store your beers upright, in room temperature, and in the dark to keep them fresh.
Now that we have unlocked the facts on Beer, it’s time to cheers responsibly!