With their pivotal role in transforming the landscape of the Indian Economy, gone are the days when entrepreneurial mindsets were bound by the male ideology. It’s the dawn of the new age where women are smashing the stereotypes and dethroning the patriarchal psyche with their foray into the business ecosystem, shining in their own area of expertise. The women of 2021 are daring, spirited, and vivacious, transcending into the Entrepreneurial world with an unflinching attitude ready to take on any challenge. One should listen to their own soul’s voice, with keeping this mantra in mind women entrepreneurs are helming the growth journey of their respective organization and nothing is holding them back. The journey of all these womenpreneurs can tell all of us that 2021 is the lucky, fruitful and obviously topsy-turvy for them.
Before the closing of the year 2021, let us look at the growth of all these businesses which these role models have taken to the next level.
1. Ms. Pallavi Singh, Vice President, Super Plastronics Pvt Ltd: Pallavi Singh is an inspiration to the lives of women entrepreneurs in India. Her journey of getting into and making a mark in the world of the manufacturing sector is phenomenal. Pallavi is heading SPPL, India’s largest TV manufacturing company where she is not only steering the growth journey of SPPL but also establishing international brands like Westinghouse TV, White Westinghouse in India with the tag of ‘Made in India’ products.
Before the 2021’s Diwali festive season, when the market sentiments were not so good, she decided to launch Westinghouse TV in India, a US-based brand that has a legacy of 130+ years. SPPL handles the branding, Manufacturing, designing of the brand. Within a few months of the launch, the brand was out of stock on Amazon. Pallavi played a robust strategy behind launching Westinghouse in India and today, the brand has turned out as one of the best affordable TV brands.
Talking about her background, after her stint at KPMG as a tax and regulatory consultant, she joined SPPL in 2015. Upon joining SPPL, she developed the e-commerce market for the company from scratch and now heads the e-commerce, Finance and after-sales division successfully as of date. Armed with the skills of chartered accountancy, this woman entrepreneur has collaborated with many overseas clients. She has recently been awarded as a `She-preneur to watch in 2020’ in the Entrepreneur India magazine along with other entrepreneurs in various fields.
2. Ms. Archana Elapavuluri, Co-Founder and CEO of Pickright Technologies: Her obsession with growth and value creation induced a thought in her mind to come up with the concept of Pickright in July 2019 and since then she hasn’t looked back. Like every other working professional and also being a woman, Archana E. wanted to invest her money right from the day she started earning, there were hardly any platforms that provide and it was always difficult to choose what is the right type of investment. Even today the scenario is the same for the majority of the population on which asset class they should invest based on their risk profiling. The only way available is to easy friends and family and that never results in good returns. Checking with professionals is intimidating as the investable amount is of small size. Further to this, she thinks of building a platform that is effortless, easy, and efficient in managing money and helping people to invest smart and wise in curated portfolios and after then Pickright was born.
With the steer in her hand, in May 2021, the company successfully raised $200k from JITO Angel Networks, Mumbai Angel Networks and other angel investors. So far, Pickright has raised $375k from external investors. She successfully carved out two revenue-generating lines in ShopX, which steered the company towards generating 100 Cr GMV in just six months. Archana also has rich expertise in product, technology, and user lifecycles. She has been a founder of a B2C startup as well.
3. Ms. Sonam Srivastava, Founder of Wright Research: Smashing the stereotypes, Sonam is a globally recognized researcher in the field of machine learning in finance and quantitative investing. Sonam Srivastava, Founder of Wright Research, is an IIT Kanpur Alumnus and has pursued her master’s in financial engineering from Worldquant University. The year 2021, has been a dynamic year for Wright Research’s growth as the company has not only raised funding in Jan 2021 but also the company’s gave astonishing results to the retail investors. She has over 9+ years of experience in quantitative research and portfolio management, working on systematic strategies, algorithmic trading, long-short strategies, arbitrage and high-frequency trading. In her professional career, she has worked with HSBC Edelweiss and Qplum, where she has built and handled large-scale portfolios and trading algorithms in the US and India.
4. Smiti Bhat Deorah, Founder of Advantage Local: HRTech startup Advantage Club, founded by Sourabh and Smiti Deorah in 2014, is an AI-enabled platform for driving employee engagement. Smiti Deorah, Chief Operating Officer of the company, is an alumnus of the University of California in Los Angeles (UCLA) and has done her master’s in computer science. The co-founder has strong experience in B2B relationship building and account management. Smiti has worked for one of the world’s tech giants, Microsoft’ for over 2 years and has gained expertise in what she does. She manages a lot of vertices in Advantage Club; sales, marketing, tech, etc., making her a superwoman entrepreneur.
5. Manjari Singh, Co-founder of The Chhaunk: Born and Brought up in Bihar, Manjari Singh is a serial entrepreneur having more than 10 years of experience in Retail and F&B, Hospitality industry. After finishing her BCOM from Delhi University, she started her own business with the brand Favola, which caters to home and kitchen items. Amid every crisis lies opportunity. The pandemic brought so much havoc but did not stop us from dreaming. She had constant doubts after seeing the conditions of other food businesses but thought to give The Chhaunk a chance in our way and in 2021, she launched her third startup, The Chhaunk, a cloud kitchen co. which is exclusively offering Bihari Cuisine with home-grown ingredients made with pure love that will take one back to home. Now, The Chhaunk aims at over 50+ outlets delivering Bihari homemade food in 2-3 years.