These are unprecedented times and the world around has changed drastically. This includes workplaces as well. In fact, organizations across geographies are rushing to build business continuity plans, while keeping in mind what’s best for their people.
Urban Company has always stood by its people – partners, customers and employees. And at such a critical juncture, along with Work From Home, the company has introduced multiple initiatives for employee welfare.
1. No Layoffs- Job security is a major concern on top of the mind for most employees. Hence, Urban Company has committed to not let go of anyone during this time. While these are testing times, as a company, the company has decided not to hand out any pink slips.
2. Honoring New Hire Commitments- Even though the company has put in place a hiring freeze, they have not rolled back any job offer issued in the last few months. In fact, they have on-boarded 100+ new hires since March.
3. New Sick Leave Policy- Urban Company has introduced a new sick leave policy, effective immediately across geographies. In the revised policy, they have removed any cap on sick leave. If an employee falls sick, he can take as many leaves and not worry about the leave balance.
4. Project Josh– As the name suggests, is aimed at instilling excitement among employees and keeping them motivated. Here are the four key things the company is doing under this project:
- Urban Academy– As part of the new set-up, Urban Company wanted people to be able to still pick up skills and learn new things while being away from the office. Hence, they quickly launched Urban Academy as our learning and development platform.
- Josh Talks- Another wonderful initiative the company implemented during this time was Josh Talks – weekly talks held for 2 hours where they host key leaders from across the industry, who take out time to speak to our team on a multitude of topics.
- People Care- Given that the Urban Company has a large distributed team across 20 cities in India with many people living alone, and away from their families, their mental health and overall well-being was important. So, they are ensuring that one of the senior members in the leadership team is reaching out to employees proactively. The UC leaders make sure the employees are doing well and are in touch with other people in the organization or engaging over different activities instituted for the lockdown period.
- Application for Employees– Looking at the future, it is understood that the old ways of working do not suffice anymore. Things will continue to be uncertain for a while and as offices will restart and teams will return to the workplace, Urban Company wanted to make sure a safe and hygienic environment for all. To enable this, their Engineering team has created an app that nudges employees daily to check in on their health, body temperature, their travel and even reminds them to wash their hands.
Also, the company has put in place a thorough screening in all their office buildings where employees will be constantly debriefed on hygiene protocols to follow. Employees will be required to sanitize their hands, wear masks, and will be thermal-screened.